Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Introduction... No Twitter, No Facebook, Just A Sensible Blog



Why do some people assume that because I'm a computer guy I should be Facebook and Twitter junkie?  A lot of my friends and family downright insist that as a Computer Repair Service I absolutely MUST have an active Facebook and Twitter account for "staying in touch" with my clientele.  I think Facebook and Twitter might be beneficial to Sensible PC Solutions advertising-wise, but in all honesty, I doubt it would do anything for the few followers who "befriended" SPCS.  I started a Facebook and Twitter account initially as I was instructed to, but my heart just wasn't in it.  It felt very awkward, forced, and frankly fake every time I mentioned anything on either social network.  I would post something about a virus, (boring!) or a sale, (spam!) and I'd immediately question if this was at all helpful to anyone reading my post.  Knowing it wasn't, I left the accounts in limbo, saying nothing, watching my followers and "friends" build up into a long list of people I didn't know and a ton of spammers.  This wasn't helping anyone, much less my business so I closed the accounts frankly feeling somewhat liberated.

I get it now.  I understand that Facebook and Twitter is only helpful if you believe in what you are saying on them is helpful and you aren't just "going through the motions".  Not to mention, the notion of being "friends" with a company like "Land O' Lakes" or Sensible PC Solutions was a fairly ridiculous concept for true users of Facebook and Twitter.  In a perfect world I would love to be friends with all my clients and potential clients, but here in reality, I'm a service provider.  If I was being a sincere user of these social networks, any SPCS tweets or Facebook comments would be seen as basically spam by any of my readers.  No matter which way I spun the scenario, it all came back to "Do I want to be a spammer on someones page?"  The answer is, no.  I hate spammers and I refuse to become something I despise.

Don't mistake my opinion on this as a slam against Facebook or Twitter, they have great significance for those who know how to use them, for those who say what they mean and mean what they say.  

Yet in my line of work, there is a lot of technology to stay informed about, and I am very passionate about this stuff.  I feel I do have a voice that needs to be heard by my business associates, so SPCS does need an outlet.  I've come to the conclusion that for me to keep it real, I must be a passionate and sincere contributor.  I love to share my discoveries, but I simply must have a better way to get this message across to my friends, family, and clients in an non-intrusive way.  In a way that is less frequent, and therefore less trivial then the big two social networks.  Instead of pestering readers on their homepages with random tidbits of uselessness, I decided to place quality over quantity, relevance and real nerd-related entertainment over marketing fluff.

Long story short, this is why the Sensible PC Solutions Blog was born.  I promise to blog about only things that are relevant to technology, things that are interesting, entertaining and informative.  (I mean, come on!  What's more entertaining than talking about Star Trek?)


This blog is the perfect application for that because even if I only write a blog once a month, I know my readers will take away valuable (or at least entertaining) information from the posts.  I hope eventually to build up a nice knowledge base of tech-talk and Trek-talk here, and I hope that all my readers understand my business and passion better from these short blog entries.  

So If you are a computer geek, if you like discussing and reading about new technology, or if you love Star Trek, it's my job to make sure you will want to subscribe to Sensible PC Solutions Blog.

It goes without saying that readers of the blog should feel free to comment on any of my posts and help me grow as both a tech writer and a business owner from constructive feedback.  Thanks in advance for your support.





No comments:

Post a Comment